|Private Treaty Sales|
|The ORC Newsletter|
1955 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT 4th Series
This highly desirable Mille Miglia-eligible 1955 Series 4 Lancia Aurelia B20 GT has recently emerged from a near concours restoration, and is now resplendent in its original Powder Blue with grey cloth trim. The first owner was Italian aristocrat Count de Boyle, friend of Enzo Ferrari, and head of the official Lancia and Ferrari Concessionaire TAK Motors of South Africa, where this car has spend most of its life. In typical Italian fashion the Count is said to have given car to a female admirer.
The Aurelia B20 GT is still regarded as one of the most innovative cars of all time, and is credited as the first of the new breed of modern post-war GT coupes, predating and no doubt influencing the later iconic Ferrari 250 SWB Berlinetta, with which it shares more than a passing resemblance. The Lancia B20GT was introduced in 1951 creating an immediate sensation. Costing £1000 more than a Jaguar D Type the B20GT was a car of great style, being based on an initial design by Boano that was later refined and put into production by Pininfarina. It pioneered many of the advances that we now take for granted, from the first ever V6 engine through to radial tyres and recorded a string of racing successes within months of its introduction, finishing second over all on the Mille Miglia; winning its class at Le Mans; coming 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Targa Florio and winning the Leige Rome Leige Rally.
The Aurelia used the first production V6 engine, a 60° design developed by Francesco de Virgilio who was, between 1943 and 1948 a Lancia engineer, and who worked under Vittorio Jano. During production, capacity grew from 1.8 L to 2.5 L. It was an all-alloy pushrod design with a single camshaft between the cylinder banks. A hemispherical combustion chamber and in-line valves were used. A single Solex or Weber carburettor co! mpleted the engine.
At the rear was an innovative combination transaxle with the gearbox, clutch, differential, and inboard-mounted drum brakes. The front suspension was a sliding pillar design, with rear semi-trailing arms.
Our car is a desirable RHD 4th series B20GT, in which the rear semi-trailing arms of the earlier cars was replaced with a De dion rear end, creating more predictable handling. It also features the most powerful engine of any of the B20GT's with a 2.5l aluminium unit providing 118BHP. Originally fitted with twin carburettors (which it retains) it has since been built to single 40 DC2 carburettor specification. The engine was fully rebuilt with all new bearings, pistons, valves etc. A number of photos of the rebuild accompany the car. This car also features the coveted Nardi floor shift that is most commonly seen on the Lancia B24 Spyder.
As a 1954 4th Series car this B20 GT is eligible for many historic events including the Miglia Mille, Targa! Florio, Goodwood Revival, Monte Carlo Historic and many other historic events.
This car is fully restored, and comes with all EU duties and taxes paid.