|Private Treaty Sales|
|The ORC Newsletter|
1913 Napier 30 h.p. Landaulette Type 44
D. Napier & Sons was founded in 1808, and manufactured its first car in 1904. Over the next decade the company built a number of 6, 4 and 2 cylinder cars which are highly sought after by collectors. In 1924 the company ceased car manufacture to concentrate on its aero engine business.
The Type 44 is one of Napier’s export models, distinguishable by its higher ground clearance, water pump and fan. Powered by a six cylinder side-valve engine of 4,122 cc and a three speed gearbox, it sports a Landaulette body by Cunard and was dispatched from the factory on 13th June 1913, and exported directly to South Africa.
The first owner was Sir Joseph Robinson, a hugely successful gold miner, and a contemporary of Cecil Rhodes and Barney Barnato, father of ‘Bentley Boy’ Woolf Barnato.
The car remained in the family for over 55 years, passing from father to daughter to grandson, and for a period into titled ownership. It came back to the UK in 1961 when it underwent a programme of restoration and subsequently went on to win a number of team prizes in various veteran car club events. The car eventually left family ownership in 1968.
Since that time it has had only three subsequent owners, all of who have done a series of works to the car to ensure that it retains as much originality as possible, which includes the original interior, and that the restoration has been sympathetic.
- The carburettor is the twin jet variety to Napier’s own design
- There is no starter motor, battery or dynamo
- Ignition is by Bosch magneto
- Conventional clutch, the footbrake operates on the transmission and handbrake operates on rear wheels only
- Top speed 50 mph
A very rare car in excellent condition.